What restrictions are there on a joint tenant selling or gifting their share?

UPDATED: Oct 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What restrictions are there on a joint tenant selling or gifting their share?

Can one joint tenant where the warranty deed states, “joint tenants during their joint lives and upon death of either of them then to the survivor of them and the heirs and assigns of such survivors”, sell or gift their interest in the property without the consent of the other joint tenant?

Asked on October 12, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Alabama


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In a joint tenancy situation the law in each state in this country holds that the survivor of the joint tenants (when the forst passes) ends up owning the entirety of whatever is held in joint tenancy.

Where there is a joint tenancy situation unless there is a recorded restriction as to transferring a particular person's interest in an item, one joint tenant can sell or gift his or her interest in the property to another person without the consent of the other joint tenant.

Many times where one joint tenant wishes to break the joint tenancy of an item being held in common, he or she deeds his or her one-half interest in the property back to himself or herself as a tenant in common and records the new deed transfer.

Good question.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption