Salary exempt employee

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Salary exempt employee

I am salary exempt. I worked from home on
work desktop but employee stated they would
pay me that day from my accrued vacation
hours because Even though you worked, you
werent in the office so we are going to use
your accrued vacation time.

Is that within legal rights for a salaried exempt

Asked on April 4, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, it is not legal. If a salaried exempt employee does any work from any location he must be paid for that day (i.e. gets his salary for the day) and may not be charged a vacation or other PTO day. Only if no work was done would PTO be used. 
If the employer doesn't like you working at home or if you worked from home against instructions or policy (i.e. you were supposed to work on-site), they could demote you, suspend you, terminate you, etc.--you may be disciplined. But you must be paid your salary, not from your PTO, for having done the work.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption