If i get room and board in exchange for employment, can I also ask to be paid?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If i get room and board in exchange for employment, can I also ask to be paid?

I work for a person that provides room and board in exchange for care-giving of his wife 10-15 hours per day. My work consists of housekeeping laundry, physical lifting for the bedridden patient, cooking, and taking care of 3 dogs, I have time off when he is home from work and the patient is asleep. I need to get wages as well but do not. Can I ask for wages as well? There is no contract.

Asked on October 28, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Texas is an at will employment law state.  This means that either the employee or employer can renogiate the terms of an agreement at any time.  For the agreement to be binding, both of you simply need to sit down and discuss the terms going forward and what they will be.  He will advise you of what he can afford to pay... and you can decide what you are willing to work for.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption