Rodents in Workplace

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Rodents in Workplace

Like last year, rodents are moving into this building into our workplace. We found a lot of droppings, urine all over our products, and we had traps that weren’t working for a year. My manager contacted his boss, and said not one word about the situation. As a worker, I ended up cleaning the rat droppings almost every day because no one would do it. And his boss has not said one word about it for a week. Is this legal? Doesn’t Rat droppings/urine contain bacteria that I can be sick from? Do I need to contact OSHA?

Asked on October 26, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can contact OSHA or the city health department.  Both have jurisdiction to come in and control/monitor the situation.  If the products which are exposed to droppings and urine eventually end up in the hands of cosumers, then this is a safety risk even beyond employees and should be reported for the general safety of the community.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption