Is atenant responsibile for the extermination of rodents?

UPDATED: Jul 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is atenant responsibile for the extermination of rodents?

I’m renting and my house has been overtaken by mice. I have trapped in excess of 10 of them within the last week. I talked to the landlord and she informed me to “get a cat”. I refuse to do this. Not only is it not a responsibility I want, it is another way for her to get an additional $300 pet deposit. I have been having problems with not only the rodents, but also spiders and earwigs. What kind of responsibility does the landlord have for these things or is it all my own?

Asked on July 18, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Nevada


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

First read the express terms of your written lease for the property you are renting with the landlord assuming there is one. There might be reference to your question in the lease and whose responsibility it is to resolve the rodent, spiders and earwig issues. Written leases set the foundation of obligations for a rental between a landlord and the tenant.

However, in many States in this country, there are laws requiring the landlord to provide a clean and safe rental for his or her tenant for safety/habitability reasons. Your issue has habitability and safety reasons all over it.

Some States have laws providing a tenant to ask the landlord to make the necessary corrections to the property rented in a reasonable time and if not done by the landlord, the tenant can make the corrections and deduct the costs for such on the next rent check payment.

Perhaps you should call your county's landlord/tenant clinic if there is one to discuss the problem of the county's building inspection department to inspect the property. A citation should get the landlord's attention.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption