Can you get arrested for a house robbery if the cops get your fingerprints in the house that got robbed?

UPDATED: Sep 16, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 16, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can you get arrested for a house robbery if the cops get your fingerprints in the house that got robbed?

But the history behind it is that the person who they are listing as their prime suspect use to live at the house 2 years ago and visits the house a couple times a year for family functions. The cops also are saying that people saw a car with the description like the one the person who is being listed as the suspect owns. What should they do? Speak with a criminal law attorney? In Lackawanna, PA.

Asked on September 16, 2011 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

She should definitely speak with a criminal defense attorney if she is a person of interest in--or has been charged with--a crime.

The answer to your question is that circumstantial evidence, like fingerprints or  a witness identification of a car similar to the one the person owns, is easily sufficient to be charged with a crime; it could also potentially be enough for a conviction, if on the balance--and weighing any exculpatory evidence or explanations she offers at trial--a jury would consider it likely beyond a reasonable doubt that she committed the crime. This matter should therefore be taken very seriously, and consulting with a lawyer would be a good idea. She should also not say anything to the authorites until and unless she speaks with her attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption