What can I do regarding being called in for questioning?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do regarding being called in for questioning?

I was called by the police department of a city I used to live in. I’m being accused of something. I live in a different city and county. They left a message, I haven’t called back. I don’t want to talk without an attorney. Will they give me time to find an attorney? Can I ignore them? If they wanted to arrest me would they already have done it?

Asked on June 28, 2018 under Criminal Law, Kansas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Do not speak with the police without having first consulted directly with a criminal law attorney. You are under no obligation to do so, even if they travel and come to your home. The fact is that they are experienced and trained invsetigators who can and do get suspects to make incriminating statements. At this point, do not ignore the situation; again contact a lawyer ASAP.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption