Right to inherit from birth parent

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Right to inherit from birth parent

If an adoption took place in the state
of Kansas that recognized the right of
an adopted child to inherit from the
birth parent but said birth parent dies
in Georgia would the rules of the state
of the adoption have standing or the
state the birth parent died in since the
adopted child still lived in Kansas ?

Asked on December 11, 2017 under Estate Planning, Kansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

1) If there is a will, that controls and overrides the right of chidren to inherit under the law: that is because a will determines who gets what, and the law allows a person to disinherit children. So you would need to look to the existence and terms of any will to see if you might inherit as first step. Most likely, the terms of the will, however, will not leave anything to a child put up for adoption, so if there is a will, it is *very* unlikely you would inherit.
2) The KA law you refer to affect "intestate succession," or who inherits what when there is no will. But intestate succession law is "local": every state has its own. The law of the state where the birth parent resided (his/her primary residence; place he or she spent 50% + 1 day of his/her time) at the time of his/her death controls what happens to his/her estate after death when he/she had no will. So you need to look to the laws of the state of the deceased's residence, not the state where you were adopted, so see if, in the event of there being no will, an adopted child would inherit. (After all, KA cannot tell GA what to do in terms of GA's inheritance law, for example.)

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption