What to do regarding a right of way?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do regarding a right of way?

I have owned my property for 46 years. The end of driveway belongs to my neighbor. He has put across the entry a log. I did find laws regarding right of way but cannot find it again. Could you direct me to locate? I am in the process of selling.

Asked on May 30, 2019 under Real Estate Law, New Hampshire


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Try looking up. "easement," not "right of way": easement is the technical, legal term.
There are generally three ways to have an easement.
1) It's already on your and/or neighbor's deed (you can see their deed at the county courthouse) and is as much a part of the property as its boundary lines. If there is already an easement, it is legally enforceable: if he won't honor it, you can bring a legal action for an order obligating him to do so. This kind of easement was often created when both properties were split off or created from one larger property: in doing so, the developer granted access rights to make sure that property owners could get to their land.
2) An easement by necessity can be created by the court IF you can show that you must have access across another's land into order to reach a public road from your land. The key is, it msut ber *necessary*--that is, you have no other direct access (without going over another's property) to a public road. If you do have such other access (for example, a public road runs along a different side of your property) you can't get an easement, but would have to spend the money to build or relocate the driveway to the other access. If you feel that yo have grounds for an easement by necessity, file a legal action in county court against your neighbor to have the court create the access. You will probably want to hire lawyer to help you.
3) An easement by prescription is similar to "adverse possession": if you have been using their land in for access  in a way that open or obvious, continuous, uninterrupted, and adverse/hostile to the neighbor's use (basically, your use of land is exclusive and precludes or limits the neighbors own use--and a driveway across their land, which limits what they can do with that strip of land, may well qualify) and having doing so for the adverse possesion time period (20 years in your state), you have essentally claimed access rights in legally binding way. You can go to court to have the court validate and make official your easement; you are again advised to retain an attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption