How can I retract a false statement that I gave to the police?

UPDATED: Jul 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I retract a false statement that I gave to the police?

I am 15 and called cops over the weekend after a fight with my father. I wanted to live with mother again. I lied and said that he hit me, which he never has. They are now starting to make big trouble for my family and I feel bad. I want to retract. How do I do that without getting in trouble for lying?

Asked on July 19, 2011 under Criminal Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can retract a false statement you gave law enforcement about an incident. The problem is that potentially you could be charged with making a false statement by the district attorneys office in a juvenile criminal proceeding. Not likely, but still a possibilty even though you are a minor.

If you want to retract the false statement that you made to law enforcement and replace it with the "true" statement of what actually happened, you and your custodial parent should meet with an attorney well experienced in criminal and juvenile law to safeguard your interests so that changing your "story" does not create problems in the future for you.

Based upon the advice of the suggested attorney you consult with and assuming he/she allows you to retract your false statement, you would meet with law enforcement again, most likely with an attorney present to represent you. You then give the "true" version of what happened.

Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption