How does one go about restoring civil rights?

UPDATED: Oct 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 6, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How does one go about restoring civil rights?

Convicted 27 years ago of a class E felony, criminal mischief.

Asked on October 6, 2011 under Criminal Law, New York


S.J.H., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In order to restore your civil rights and remove any barriers that the felony conviction brings you need to obtain relief from civil disabilities. This is an application that is made in the court in which you got convicted, or if you served time you will have to request it through the Parole Board. . You fill out an application which outlines why you should have these rights restored and how you have learned your lesson and have become a better person for it. A Judge in theat court reviews your application and if he agrees, he will than issue you relief from civil disabilities. All your questions can be answered by reviewing Article 23 of New York State Correction Law Section 700-730. Depending on what county you live in, there are various ways of going about it. If you served time then the address to request the forms is  Certificate Review Unit, New York State Division of Parole,845 Central Avenue, Albany, NY 12206(518) 485-8953. They will send you out the forms.




IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption