Resonable fees in a personal injury case due to medication.

UPDATED: Jun 24, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 24, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Resonable fees in a personal injury case due to medication.

I took a medication years ago and now am experiencing side effects that the pharmaceutical company covered up. I have contacted a law firm who are willing to take the case, however they are asking for 40% plus expences. I am wondering if this is a normal rate or too much.

Asked on June 24, 2009 under Personal Injury, Massachusetts


L.M., Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Personal Injury attorneys typically take 1/3 or more of the settlement.  You must have a good case, or they wouldn't even consider taking it.  40% does seem a little high, but still within the range.  There is nothing to prevent you from shopping around a bit.  Perhaps you can find an attorney who will do it for less, but compare the resources the attorney has at the firm he or she is with, and make sure they have the experience to handle a drug/product liablity case.  If you can find a good attorney to do it for 33%, go for it. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption