Who does the residual money in estate go to?

UPDATED: Sep 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Who does the residual money in estate go to?

I am probating my mother’s Will. After the bequests are given out there will be money remaining in the estate. There is no provision in the Will for distributing this money. I am her only child but when she married my dad he already had children. Mom didn’t adopt them. Does the residual money go to me or is it split between me and my half siblings?

Asked on September 14, 2011 under Estate Planning, New Jersey


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  Are you sure there is no paragraph in the Last Will and Testament that starts with "The rest, residue and remainder...."?  This is known as the residuary clause and it governs assets not specifically bequeathed in an estate.   If there really is nothing that even remotely looks like that paragraph, I would consult with an attorney in your area as to the intestacy statute, because that will most likely govern.  And under most intestacy statues you alone would most likely receive the residual funds if your mom did not adopt your step siblings.  But I do need to say something here.  You as the fiduciary have great power under the laws in your state to administer the wishes of the decedent.  You refer to your step father as your "dad" and I think that the feelings carry through as you refer to your siblings as "half" and not "step."  SO if you as fiduciary think that your Mother would have split the remaining money equally then speak with an attorney about your ability to follow through with those wishes.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption