What to do if a company has disqualified me from employment because it’s seeking someone with a

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a company has disqualified me from employment because it’s seeking someone with a

I’m a veteran who was using that time to get a degree relevant to this position but I’m being barred since I was not working. That doesn’t seem fair to me.

Asked on September 5, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

It is perfectly legal: an employer is free to set the requirements or parameters of work experience or other qualifications for a job, and is free to value "steady work history" over veteran status or a degree. There is no legal protection for using time to get a degree or qualification (i.e. they don't have to consider the time you spent getting the degree was equivalent to working), and no obligation to hire veterans if they don't otherwise meet the employer's requirements. It may not be fair, but the law does not enforce fairness.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption