Whatt o do if I requested a particular model and floor from an apartment complex, but the one I signed a lease for is different?

UPDATED: Aug 4, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 4, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Whatt o do if I requested a particular model and floor from an apartment complex, but the one I signed a lease for is different?

Requested a particular model and floor from apartment complex. Requested to see unit I was agreeing to lease but was refused. Brought this all to the attention of the complex when I found out, but they said they could make it right but it would take 5 days and I had to be out of my old complex in 2 and had furniture delivery coming in 5 at that point. If it’s been a year, can I get out of the lease?

Asked on August 4, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you actually signed a lease knowing that it was for a different model and floor than the one you had requested, you are bound to the terms of that lease. It would be different if you had signed the lease for unit A, but were given, without your consent or knowledge, unit B; but if you signed a lease for unit B, knowing it was unit B, even though you wanted unit A, then you most likely are stuck leasing unit B, unfortunately.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption