Repairs to a rental

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Repairs to a rental

I just moved out of a rental unit, my dog damaged
some of the outside grating on an outside ac unit. It
is strictly cosmetic and the unit is fully operational.
The landlord is wanting to charge us 5,000 dollars to
completely replace the unit.

Asked on February 29, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The landlord is not required to accept or live with the cosmetic damage. If it can be repaired less expensively, however, he must repair it instead: he can only replace it if the damage cannot be repaired economically or practically (e.g. say that there is no replacement panel or grill for what was damaged--you have to buy a new unit). If your dog damages another property, you are obligated to pay for the lesser of the cost to *fully* repair (as good as new) if that can be done, or else to replace.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption