What to do if my vehicle was damagedduring transport?

UPDATED: Jan 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 7, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my vehicle was damagedduring transport?

I had my car transported from and to different states. The transport carrying my vehicle had an accident which resulted in damage to my vehicle. Their insurance company paid for the cost of the repair minus the $1000 deductible that the transport company has to shoulder. The insurance company said that the transport company should directly be sending me this money. Is this true? The transport company is hiding and won’t communicate with me. I even paid for my rental car while my vehicle is in the shop. Their insurance company is washing their hands. What options do I have?

Asked on January 7, 2011 under Accident Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Ok, so the insurance company paid for the repairs directly to the repair place minus the $1000 deductible.  And they want you to get it from the transport company directly.  Did they pay you for the rental car (I am sure that that could be a possible provision in the insurance contract and you should inquire) or have you made a claim under your own insurance and see if they will subrogate the claim?  That could be an option here.  Otherwise you may have to go through small claims court and sue the transport company directly.  I would, however, not give up with hounding the insurance company for a bit until you think that they really will not budge.  Keep asking to speak with a supervisor.  Get names and fax letters. Demand a copy of the policy that covers the transport company and ask for the whole policy not just the dec (declarations) page.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption