If I’ve been without power for 8 days now waiting formy landlord to correct things, what can I do?

UPDATED: Aug 31, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 31, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’ve been without power for 8 days now waiting formy landlord to correct things, what can I do?

Renting an apartment and the Power company cut the power to the house because the wires to the meter were burned.

Asked on August 31, 2012 under Real Estate Law, New York


Mark Siegel / Law Office of Mark A. Siegel

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Electricity is considered an essential service and the failure of a landlord to restore electric service to leased premises may be classified as a violation by the local building dept. You may want to contact the local building inspector, & ask how you go about filing a formal complaint & scheduling an inspection. If the inspector issues a violation against the landlord, the landlord may be subject to fines & additional legal action, if the violation is not corrected as provided by law. 

You should also contact the local town, justice or city court & obtain information about starting a tenant proceeding to request an "Order to Correct" from the court.

The landlord's failure to provide electric service may constitute a breach of the warranty of habilitability, which under NY law may entitle a tenant to seek an abatement (reduction) of rent (amount determined by the court). So if you owe rent & the landlord starts a nonpayment case against you, you may raise the landlord's failure to provide electric service as a counterclaim, based upon a breach of the warranty of habilitability. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption