If out rental property has roaches, what do we do?

UPDATED: May 28, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If out rental property has roaches, what do we do?

The property we live in has had roaches since we moved in and lately they have gotten worse. We do not know what to do because we have asked our manage to tell our landlord about it and fix it but nothing has been done. We have tried pesticides but nothing has worked.

Asked on May 28, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Then you need to go down to landlord tenant court to start an action against the landlord and management company for a breach of the warranty of habitability.  ASk the court to allow you to pay your rent in to court until the problem is fixed and for an abatement (reduction) in rent.  That will get their attention and the court will make sure that it is done.  Good luck.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

All rentals come with what is known as the "implied warranty of habitability"--or the obligation on the landlord to provide premises "fit for their intended purpose," which in this case means fit for someone to live in. Significant roach infestations (not just the occasional roach) would violate this warranty. When the warranty is violated, the tenant has several options, but before exercising any, must document that he/she has provided the landlord notice of the problem (best to provide written notice, sent some way you can prove delivery, such certified mail with return receipt or Fed Ex with tracking) *and* a reasonable opportunity to fix it:

1) To sue for monetary compensation for the time you've been living with the infestation;

2) To pay for an exterminator yourself and take the cost thereof out of rent--but only the cost thereof (that is, you can't generally withhold rent);

3) To seek a court order directing the landlord to remedy the situation;

4) If the infestation is bad enough, to move out and terminate the lease without penalty.

Exercising these remedies can be a little tricky, since if the problem is not severe enough, the landlord has not breached his/her obligations and you would not, for example, be entitled to take the cost of extermination out of your rent. If possible, consult with an attorney before doing anything.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption