How do I remove my ex-spouse from the deed of my house after the mortgagehas beenpaid off?

UPDATED: Aug 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I remove my ex-spouse from the deed of my house after the mortgagehas beenpaid off?

Divorced, per decree the house and mortgage were mine. I recently paid off the house and now need to remove her name. The decree clearly states the house was mine when things were split up and the mortgage was my responsibility. Do I need a lawyer or just go to the courthouse? What is my next step?

Asked on August 19, 2011 Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

There are several possible ways to remove your former spouse's name for the home you have per the dissolution decree. The first is simply have her sign a grant deed to your home per the divorce decree transferring all interests she has in the property and record it with the county recorder's office.

If she refuses, potentially the dissolution decree in and of itself may allow a transfer if a certified copy is obtained of the decree and recorded on the property. The other option is to file a petition concerning your divorce decree and have the judge order your former wife to sign a grant deed in accord with the court order of the dissolution. Perhaps the court could even issue an order that the property is now in all yours. If so, you obtain a certified copy of the order and record it on the property.

You should probably retain a lawyer to help get the property entirely in your name.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption