How canI have my ex-husband removed from the warranty deed to the house?

UPDATED: Jul 20, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 20, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How canI have my ex-husband removed from the warranty deed to the house?

I am having a horrible time getting straight answers on getting my ex-husband off the title. I was granted the property fee simple title by the judge in the final decree, but it seems the court wants a quit claim deed to remove his name from the existing deed. Shouldn’t the decree override that? Also, they keep telling me to notify the property apprasier’s office. I did that and all they deal with is the taxes, not the title. What am I to do to get his name off so I don’t have problems later? We aren’t on good terms and I had to take him back to court just to get him to sign the letter of authorization that bank requires to do a loan assumption. The magistrate said it didn’t say anything in the decree that he didn’t have to sign anything.

Asked on July 20, 2011 Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

One way to possibly get the name of your former husband off the title of the property is to have him sign a quit claim deed to the proerty before a notary public and you then record it with the county recorder's office. If he is unwilling to do this, you can then file a petition on your divorce action requesting that the court order your ex-husband to sign a quit claim to the proeprty in a certain period of time and give it to you for recording.

If the former husband refuses, you can have the court issue an order stating that the property is solely to be in your name if that is decided in a later hearing on the issue. Are you living in the home and paying all costs associated with it?. If the court decides that you are the property's sole owner, you get a certified copy of the order from the judge and record the order on the property.

By doing this, your husband's name would be off legal title to the property. It sounds that the court has not made a clear decision regarding the divorce as to how legal title needs to be held in the property you are writing about.



IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption