relinquish my rights as Next of Kin

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

relinquish my rights as Next of Kin

My Mother passed away two weeks ago. She owned a Condo in Florida that my Grandpa still alive bought for her. He is going down there next week to try and sell the condo and clean it out. Since I am next of Kin and my mother didnt have a Will or very many assets at all other than a life insurance policy that I am the beneficiary of I believe Im legally next in line for her estate. My question is, My grandpa needs to have me sign a legal document relinquishing my right as next of Kin in order to gain ownership of her condo and resell it without me needing to be involved. If I sign this document, does that mean that he is now legally the owner of this insurance policy?

Asked on January 4, 2018 under Estate Planning, Minnesota


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  This is a question best asked to an attorney in person.  But from what you have written the answer is yes, if you relinquish your rights to your Mom's estate or an asset in the estate you lose your right to inherit it or the proceeds from the sale. Is your Grandpa the Persoanl Representative of your Mom's estate?  That is what is needed t do anything at all here. If he is, he has the ability to clean out and sell the condo without the need for you to relinquish your rights.  Please speak with a lawyer.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption