Religion discrimination

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Religion discrimination

Is it legal for an employer to make me a part time
employee for the single fact that I cant work the

Asked on October 18, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The issue is can the employer reasonably (without excessive cost or disruption) accommodate you as a full-time employee if you don't work the Sabbath. If they could--if they could reasonably give you other hours or shifts--then their failure to accommodate you in this regard would likely be illegal religion-based employment discrimination and you could contact the federal EEOC to file a complaint.
On the other hand if there are not enough shifts or hours available to you to be full time without you working the Sabbath (and note: they do not have to "bump" another worker from his/her shifts or hours for you) then they did nothing wrong: their only obligation is to make "reasonable" accommodations, and if there are not enough hours, there are not enough hours.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption