Regarding time share maintenance fees

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Regarding time share maintenance fees

I have 2 years left on my 30 year time share Royal Holiday and its been completely paid for about 25 years, so Ive just been paying maintenance fees which have increased dramatically over the years. When I purchased, it was $68 per year and they said if it went up at all it would only be a few dollars every few years. Due to health reasons, I cannot travel and want to just walk away from the remaining two years. Can this affect my credit rating? I explained this to them but they insist I have to pay. I own a studio basic hotel room 1 week a year and the maintenance fee is $847. I am willing to sign the remaining 2 weeks back over to them for no compensation to do with whatever they like.

Asked on December 27, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

1) You can't make them take the 2 weeks back--it is voluntary on their part. You can propose this, but they'd have to agree.
2) If you don't pay the fees, yes, it could be reported to and affect your credit: you will have defaulted on a legal obligation.
3) For your information, the increase you have seen is the equivalent of a 9.5% (approximately) increase per year from your original amount.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption