Whatt o do about getting a refund for overpayment of property taxes to the seller of a house?

UPDATED: Aug 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 5, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Whatt o do about getting a refund for overpayment of property taxes to the seller of a house?

I am selling my home. I paid the latest quarterly property tax bill in full. Depending on the closing date I will be due a refund of part of that tax payment. Is there a document I must submit to get this refund or is it normal for the escrow company to disperse the refund?

Asked on August 5, 2012 under Real Estate Law, New Jersey


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I hope that you have ana ttorney helping here.  Bring proof of the payment (but the lender will do a search before you close of the outstanding taxes, water bill, etc.) and it will be adjusted at the time of the closing.  It should be listed on the closing statement.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption