Recourse for hiring discrimination?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Recourse for hiring discrimination?

Illinois-I work for city government as
a police dispatcher. I had an officer
die on duty while I was working, I was
put on temporary disability 3 months
ago for PTSD. We are combining to form
a new center. New Link Destination
night I was told the
board will not hired me because I am a
liability. My boss who has access to my
medical records due to my workman’s
comp was on the hiring board. I had an
evaluation that said I am not a danger
to myself or others. Do I have any

Asked on August 19, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You probably do not have any recourse because you had such severe PTSD from the job you are applying for (dispatcher) that you had to go out on temporary disability. That shows that are evidently susceptible to a known potential stress of this job, and also could be a risk to freeze up or break down on the job, endangering others (e.g. by not routing/dispatching officers correctly). They are not required to accept the enhanced risk that you do, based on your history and despite the evaluation, present.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption