If I received a DUI 12 years ago and just received another in a different state, will it show?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I received a DUI 12 years ago and just received another in a different state, will it show?

And do I have to take the advanced DUI course or just the regular course?

Asked on November 10, 2015 under Criminal Law, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

A DUI conviction gets posted as a part of your criminal record and gets posted against your insurance driving record.  Further, the majority of states have access to this information since they share DUI conviction information and honor other state’s license suspensions. Additionally, typically a state treats an out of state DUI conviction as if it happened in the current state.
That having been said, most states (but not all) have what is known as a "look back period". Basically, if there is a second or subsequent conviction outside of this timeframe, then while the conviction permanently stays on your record, for sentencting puropses the conviction will be treated as your first. Virtually no states have look back periods longer than 10 years, so you stand a good chance of being sentenced as a first-time offender.
To find out the specifics of applicable state law, you need to speak with a DUI attorney in the area of where you where arrested; they can best advise you further.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption