If one of my aunt’s died without a Will, what assets are included in her estate?

UPDATED: Nov 3, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 3, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If one of my aunt’s died without a Will, what assets are included in her estate?

Her savings account is linked to her mother’s name. Before she died she told a nephew that he could have all of her possessions. Would this include the savings account or just the furniture?

Asked on November 3, 2014 under Estate Planning, Minnesota


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If the aunt and her mother were joint tenants with rights of survivorship on the savings account, or if the account had a pay on death designation to the aunt's mother, then the savings account will go to the mother.  Also, the mother is a closer living relative than the nephew, therefore if there was no will, the furniture and other possessions will go to the mother as well, unless the mother chooses to honor what she knew were her daughter's wishes and give the possessions to the nephew.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption