What can be done if my grandfather passed away over a month ago and my grandma has taken his Will and hidden it?

UPDATED: Aug 27, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 27, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can be done if my grandfather passed away over a month ago and my grandma has taken his Will and hidden it?

There is a will that names my aunt and father as 2/3 owners of what my grandfather had. They don’t know who the lawyer is. How can we find out who the lawyer is and is it illegal for her to take and hide it and not let anyone know?

Asked on August 27, 2014 under Estate Planning, Kentucky


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

One of the other beneficiaries should file a petition to probate the estate/will.  Within the context of that, you should be able to subpoena the will from the grandmother.  She will have to produce it or be held in contempt.  Tell you father to contact a wills, trusts and estates attorney in his area.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption