What to do ifI received a medical billing 3 years late?

UPDATED: Aug 25, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 25, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do ifI received a medical billing 3 years late?

My wife went to a psychiatrist 3 years ago. I’m sure we paid the $965 bill. There were 19 appointments. The first the letter is addressed not to me or my wife but “to our patients”. This tells me their billing is screwed up and they’re just throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks. So bottom line here is what is the maximum length of time a company has to bill me?

Asked on August 25, 2011 Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

A company in this country can continue billing a customer or patient for years after the last appointment for services or last purchase of an item in an attempt to obtain payment.

The issue that you seem to be asking is what is the statute of limitations for a business to bring a legal action for services rendered or an item sold that has not been allegedly paid.

Each state has different time periods to bring an action under different theories of liability called "causes of action." Typically a breach of an oral contract has a two year statute of limitations. A breach of a written contract has typically a four year statute of limitations. A common count cause of action for services rendered may have a two or four year statute of limitations in general.

All of the above time limitations depens upon the laws of the state where the lawsuit accrues and the time typically starts running from when the obligation is owed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption