If I received a ticket for a Class C misdemeanor, should i get a lawyer?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I received a ticket for a Class C misdemeanor, should i get a lawyer?

I received a ticket today for shoplifting $34 worth of items. I do not want this on my record, so I was wondering if I should hire a lawyer?

Asked on June 13, 2016 under Criminal Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

A Class C misdemeanor is a criminal offense. Accordingly, you should have legal representation to advise you in this matter. An experienced criminal law attorney might be able to get the charge dismissed on a technicality or at least get it reduced. That having been said, if you are a first-time offender, you may be offered "diversion" (or TX's equivalent). This is an alternative sentencing program whereby you will plead guilty to the charge, receive a special probation, and upon its successful completion, your plea will be withdrawn, the charge dropped and your case dismissed. However, diversion is only allowed for a first offense which means that if you get into trouble again, it won't be available for any subsequent charge. Therefore, if you get an attorney who can get your case dismissed, you'll be eligible for diversion in the future if you should need it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption