Reasonable Accomodations

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Reasonable Accomodations

I work at a community mental health center as a full-time therapist. I recently learned that I will need to have a hip replacement. My medical provider requested my hours be cut from 40 to 20-25 in order to save wear and tear on my hip and to help ease my pain. My employer has denied the request stating it would cause

Asked on May 7, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, they can do this. A reasonable accommodation is a change in rules or procedure, or provision of some assistive device or technology, which is not too expensive or disruptive to the employer, which allows you to do your job as you had been doing it--including working the hours you had been working. Reducing your hours by 37.5% to 50% is not a reasonable accommodation, since 1) you are not doing the job as you had been doing it (you are going from full- to part-time), and 2) it is disruptive in that will require them to hire someone else to cover 15 - 20 hours/week of work you had been doing and/or force them to load extra work on other employees, impacting those worker's productivity and workflow. The employer is not required to change your full-time position to a part-time one.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption