Real estate/property ownership question.

UPDATED: Jul 5, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 5, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Real estate/property ownership question.

if a person owns a property, his name is the only name on the deed and he rents the property out, listing his fiance’ as co-manager of the property and she signs a receipt for rent paid, does that give her the right to fight the landlord/owner for control of the property?

Asked on July 5, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Texas


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I am a lawyer in CT and practice in this ara of the law.  The fiance is simply acting as the agent for the owner and has no ownership rights whatsoever.  The fiance also has no say and does not have any rights to control the property superior to the owner.  The fiance must abide by the terms the owner designates.  If the owner wants to remove the fiance from the real estate operation altogether he may do so at any time and be free of her forever.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption