Real Estate Contractor

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Real Estate Contractor

I purchased a house in September of 2016 with a 203K streamline loan. I hired a contractor to do the work gave him half of the money. He assured me he was aware of the 203K process and signed all the pertinent 203K bank documents. He was in the house for 2 months and no work had been done and he began to ask for the rest of the money. I informed him that the house was suppose to be done with the money I gave him and that he would not be getting the rest until the property was done. I also emailed to him the document we both signed reiterating how the process was to go. It was now 2 weeks prior to Thanksgiving and my house was not done. I was furious and fired him. He took 6,000. It took me to work 2 jobs to save/borrow and a year later before I could get my house completed. I need to know if I can sue him to get my money back? I have pictures and text messages of all the conversation of how things was suppose to go. He did not do what he stated he would in the time frame he said it would be done. I need my money back from him. How can I do this?

Asked on January 5, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the contractor for breach of contract.
Your damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) would be the 6,000 the contractor took and the cost of completion with another contractor, and expenses or other costs such as the delay in completing the project caused by the first contractor's breach of contract.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption