What to do if we have a real estate contract that is missing the sales price?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if we have a real estate contract that is missing the sales price?

We have a agreement to buy property that the sale price was missed on the

contract. It shows we can make the monthly payments and when paid in full the seller will provide a deed and the buyer will accept the deed. It also has a close that this contract does away with any prior agreements. Both buyer and seller have signed this.

A prior contract that was provided to the buyer from the seller shows a price

but also has other agreements that was removed by the seller.

The seller has said that he will not sign the deed even if the sale price from

the prior contract has been meet will not sign a new contract if one is drawn


What rights doe we have as the buyer to make the sale go thru?

Asked on October 24, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Kansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The current contract is not enforceable, since it lacks a material or critical term--price. Without that term, there is no "meeting of the minds" (no mutual agreement as to all key terms) and no contract is formed. That means the close that it does away with prior contracts should not be enforceable, since if the contract is void, it is wholly without effect. While you will want to hire and consult with an attorney about this situation, since it is NOT the usual one and will present unusual challanges (so you need  a lawyer who can evaluate the situation in detail and advise you), based on what you write, a strong argument can be made that the prior contract remains in effect and can be enforced.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption