If I inherited a house with a mortgage, what happens whenI want to sell?

UPDATED: Dec 25, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 25, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I inherited a house with a mortgage, what happens whenI want to sell?

My husband passed away recently. The house was in both of our names and now it is in my name alone. The mortgage is in my late husband’s name and I am still paying the mortgage every month. If I want to sell home can I sell it?

Asked on December 25, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If the home that you inherited from your late husband has a mortgage that you are paying the monthly debt load upon and you want to sell it, the mortgage ends up getting paid off at close of escrow typically when the buyer gets title placed in his or her name.

Assuming you list the property for sale and enter into contract to sell it, there should be a formal escrow set up where you will receive a preliminary closing statement (and final closing statement) where you will see how the money for the sale will be distributed as far as assorted closing costs, liens, accrued property taxes and the like.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption