Quitclaim Deed

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Quitclaim Deed

My mother has passed away and I am the sole heir to her estate. She had a boyfriend and she quitclaimed a property to a boyfriend but still has an outstanding loan on it. If the loan defaults and is only in her name, can the bank take the property back since it seems the loan isn’t backed by the house. It would seem her estate is liable but can the property be taken since it isn’t in her name?

Asked on July 25, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, if the loan is not paid, the bank can foreclose even though she allegedly quitclaimed the deed. You legally cannot transfer a property without paying off an existing mortgage; the asserted transfer is void and can be reversed or undone and the bank foreclose. (It can also be undone and the bank reach the property because this would be seen as a transfer made to defraud or cheat, a creditor, the bank, and such transfers are considered to be fraudulent.) The bank can also sue her estate if it chooses--either instead of foreclosing, or after foreclosing, for any amounts not paid by the proceeds of the foreclosure sale.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption