Quitclaim deed

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Quitclaim deed

My wife and I separated, and she is requesting that I sign over a quitclaim deed.
We purchased the home together, the downpayment coming from my income and a loan
from my mother. A year later we refinanced and she refinanced in her name only
because I was in a less advantageous career situation, and now she is wanting a
divorce. If I sign this over will I be completely out of any equity built in our
home if/when we divorce? I am in Missouri.

Asked on June 20, 2017 under Family Law, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

A "quitclaim" deed is one of those things in the law which means exactly what it sounds like: you "quit"--or give up--any "claims" you have in or to the property...or to any equity in it. If you quitclaim it to her, you will not have any interest in the property, no right(s) to the property, and no right(s) to any proceeds or equity.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption