Question on liability for issues involving parked cars, door dings, and passenger actions.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Question on liability for issues involving parked cars, door dings, and passenger actions.

Trying to get some information. If a passenger seated in a parked car opens their door hard and it hits another parked car and causes a ding/scratch/dent, etc…, what action is legally required?

Asked on March 5, 2017 under Accident Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If the owner of the damaged car does not have the relevant insurance (e.g. collision) and/or chooses to not put in an insurance claim, his or her recourse would be to sue passenger who did the damage for the repair cost. It would most likely to make sense to sue in small claims court, on a "pro se," or as your own attorney basis, to minimize court costs and avoid legal fees. Suing would be the only way to get compensation if you don't use insurance (or if the person does not voluntarily compensate you).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption