Will I need to go to the state I was convicted in to start the process of an expumgement?

UPDATED: May 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will I need to go to the state I was convicted in to start the process of an expumgement?

I was convicted in one state and I moved to another to serve my sentence. I have paid all my fines and fees, and have taken care of all legal obligations. My probation was completed last year. I don’t know if I will need an attorney to be able to file to have the conviction expunged. I also don’t know if I will be required to physically go down back to start the process.

Asked on May 9, 2012 under Criminal Law, Ohio


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The representation of an attorney for a criminal expungement is not a necessity, but it is highly recommended. An expungement can be performed from outside the state in which you were convicted, but you must be certain that you have successfully met the eligibility requirements of a criminal expungement in your respective state. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption