Question about Will

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Question about Will

There are 11 people attached to my father’s Will. Myself and 1 of the 11 people live in the home. I am the executor of the estate and manage the home. The other tenant pays very little rent where taxes, water, home insurance, and home maintenance insurance is extracted. The other tenant does not contribute anything whatsoever to maintaining the house repairs (i.e. roof, plumbing, electric, trash management). I want to remove the tenant from the home preferably or raise the rent to market rate to assist me with repairs to the home. I’m unsure if I can do either being she is in the Will. The home is paid for and the title is still in

the decedent’s name. What can I legally do?

Asked on December 20, 2018 under Estate Planning, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

It depends on whether there is a written lease or only an oral (unwritten one) and whether the tenant is complying with lease's terms. 
NJ is a very tenant friendly state. To oversimplify:
1) The tenant is not complying with lease, whether written or oral: you can file for eviction for nonpayment of rent (if that's how they are failing to comply) or send them the statutorily required warning notices for other lease violations, then after that, terminate their tenancy (and file for eviction) if they fail to "cure" or correct the violation.
2) There is an oral (unwritten) lease with which the tenant is complying: you can propose new terms or an increase in rent but must do so in the proper way, on proper notice (at least one month, possibly more, depending on what you are proposing); if you do this the right way and they don't comply (don't sign and honor a new or revised lease; don't pay the increased rent), you could then evict them.
3) There is an expired written lease with which the tenant is complying: treat it as an oral lease under the same terms as the written lease--provide proper notice for new terms or a rent increase, then go from there.
4) There is a still-in-effect (unexpired) written lease with which the tenant is complying: you can't do or change anything until the lease is up.
NJ landlord-tenant law is not just tenant friendly, it is complex: the above does not even begin to reflect its true complexity. Retain a landlord-tenant attorney (you can, as executor, use estate funds to hire the lawyer) to review your situation and help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption