If I purchased a new car and paid in full, how long does the dealer have to get me the title?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I purchased a new car and paid in full, how long does the dealer have to get me the title?

The dealer says they have 45 days to get the title to me. The 45 days have passed and they still have not given me the title so I can get my new plates. I cannot drive the car now as the temporary tags have expired. Do I have any options?

Asked on December 30, 2015 under Business Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Yes...you can sue them for breach of contract (not giving you title to the vehicle you purchased) to force them to turn over title or possibly rescind the sale (give car back, get money back, plus possibly compensation for any other costs you incurred in the meantime). If they are not responsive, filing a lawsuit may be the quickest way to force them to respond, and they can then settle the suit with you by providing the title. A good idea would be to overnight, some way you can prove delivery, a letter giving them, say three (3) days to turn over the title to you and warning them that you will bring legal action after that.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption