Purchase a home after owner death

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Purchase a home after owner death

I live in Philadelphia, PA. Good morning, I currently live in a home where the
owner died in 2004. I was paying rent to the owners son but he also died. I no
longer pay rent and the back taxes have not been paid since 2009, the home may
come up for sheriff sale soon. i am currently paying all of the utilities and for
upkeep. is there a legal way for me to purchase this home?

Asked on February 3, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If it's coming up on a sheriff's sale, you can bid for it at that sale--that would be the only way to get it from the government, if it is seized for taxes.
If a bank forecloses (e.g. if a mortgage is not paid), you can try to buy it at the foreclosure sale or auction.
If you can identify the executor or personal representative of the owner's son (who presumably inherited when his father died), you may be able to negotiate with them and buy it from the estate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption