What to do about a public drunkenness citation?

UPDATED: Apr 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about a public drunkenness citation?

I am a 22 year old nursing student about to graduate from an accredited nursing school. Last weekend I was visiting friends at another college and received a citation for public drunkenness. I have no other convictions of any kind, including parking tickets. I am normally a very responsible adult, have 3 jobs, participate in community service activities and receive good grades. I have spoken with the officer that made the arrest and he stated that I should be getting the citation in the mail. What is my next step?

Asked on April 10, 2012 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Out of all the offenses, this is pretty low on the scale of issues (hence the citation in the mail). You need to get yourself a good lawyer to make this go away. You need to show this was a brief lapse of judgment and that if you have no other convictions or charges, see if your state offers alternative or delayed convictions or if your criminal defense attorney can talk to the prosecutor about dropping the charges period. You may need to do some community service but ultimately you do not want to have this pop up on your employment checks and so forth.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption