PTO Acrural changed but I was never notified

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

PTO Acrural changed but I was never notified

In my company’s handbook that I was given when hired it has our PTO accrual rates. Recently I found out that I have not been getting my hours according to the handbook and my HR department told me that the handbook is incorrect, but we were never notified of the change. New Link Destination
this date I am short 66 hours of PTO that I should have gotten and now I never will. Is there anything I can do?

Asked on November 20, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

While an employer may change the accrual policy, it may only do so on a forward looking basis, after notice to employees; until employees are provided notice of the change, they continue to accrue at the last rate or under the last rules/system of which they were notified. Changes in accrual may not be made retroactively, only from the moment of announcment of the change onward. Therefore, you should have continued to accrue at the past rate until they told you otherwise. It is a violation or breach of the agreement, even if only an oral or implicit one, pursuant to which you worked: you were working in exchange for certain compenation, including PTO, and since you did the work, they have to provide the benefits or compensation which they had then told you that you were working for.
That's the law. The practical problem you face is that the only way to get these days would be to sue your employer, which is obviously a drastic undertaking which will affect your relationship with them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption