Prorated Rent-California

UPDATED: Jul 3, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 3, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Prorated Rent-California

I was provided with a 60 day notice from my Landlord on 6/26/09. Now, I found a new apt. and my move in date is 7/11/09 so I informed my Landlord that I would be out of the apt. on that day so if she could Pro-rate my rent for the month of July for the remaining time of my stay, I would provide her with the specified amount. She then stated that because I did not give her a 30 day notice I would have to pay for the full month of July even if I’m not staying there. Should I still have to pay for the FULL month of July?

Asked on July 3, 2009 under Real Estate Law, California


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you still have to pay for the full month of July.  The landlord is correct, that you have to give 30 day notice to end your lease before the end of August (after the landlord's notice).  To avoid paying rent for July, you would have had to have given notice no later than June 1.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption