What to do if the proprietor of a vacation home wrongly accused tenants of wrecking thepPlace and charged fees on their credit card?

UPDATED: Sep 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if the proprietor of a vacation home wrongly accused tenants of wrecking thepPlace and charged fees on their credit card?

Some friends of mine recently rented a cabin in TN in which they stayed over the span of 2 nights. They left the cabin in good condition, cleaned up after themselves, and didn’t damage any of the cabin or surrounding property. To their dismay, the proprietor accused them of leaving the hot water running, and not cleaning the cabin before they left, among other accusations. Further, she decided to charge them hundreds of dollars in fees for what she deemed as service fees for having to clean and repair the cabin without even telling them. They would like the money returned. Is this a small claims matter?

Asked on September 19, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Wisconsin


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Accusations are fine but proof is what she needs in order to make the case stick.  Did your friend's take pictures of the place before they left?  I hope so. But the first thing that they need to do is to call their credit cards and file a complaint about the charges and ask that they be taken off their cards at this time.  They need to file what is known as a dispute.  Then I agree that they need to file a small claims action for return of the security deposit.  But are they also in Wisconsin? And the landlord is in Tennessee?  That could be a problem.  I would also look up the law on security deposits in Tennessee to see of there is a time frame or demand requirement.  I would also demand that she give them receipts for the work allegedly done and proof of the damage.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption