What can we do if our neighbors have not kept up their home and are decreasing the property values of the neighborhood?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can we do if our neighbors have not kept up their home and are decreasing the property values of the neighborhood?

Our neighbors own their home outright but they do not pay property taxes. In fact, they have not

paid property taxes for the past 5 years. However, someone else paid the taxes for the first 2 years that they defaulted; the past 3 years have not been paid at all. This home is in disarray and ruining the property values of our neighborhood. Is it possible to put this house in foreclosure or somehow take it away from the current owners since they have not paid their taxes?

Asked on August 2, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You (and your other neighbors cannot) put the house into foreclosure for nonpayment of taxes; taxes are between the homeowner and the government. However, the government unit or entity which has not received its taxes (e.g. your town or city) can foreclose for nonpayment of taxes. You can contact your town government about the matter and the blight and see if they will take action, but you cannot compel them to--all you can do is try to persuade them to act.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption