Property taxes.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Property taxes.

This year my property taxes were raised over 100 from 2148 in 2015 to 4474 in 2016. Is this legal?

Asked on December 2, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

As long as the increase was done in accordance with the procedure for setting or raising taxes and is based on an appraisal or valuation of your property, it is legal: the law does not cap how much the taxes can go up year to year, and large jumps are possible if it is determined that the property was previously undervalued.
However, even if legal, if you believe the assessment or valuation of property is incorrect (too high), you can challenge the amount on that basis. Ideally, you should hire an attorney who specializes in this to help you--that will greatly increase your odds of a favorable outcome. If you don't want to hire a lawyer, you can contact your county tax board for the procedure to file an appeal. You will need evidence of the proper valuation of your property, such as from an accredited appraiser; you should also research and come armed with comparable  values of nearby, similar properties.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption