property tax laws

UPDATED: May 30, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 30, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

property tax laws

after a person has lost a home due to property taxes how long do they get to stay in the house

Asked on May 30, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

It depends on how aggressive the government is in evicting the person. Once the person has "lost their home," or there's a been a tax foreclosure on the home, the person no longer has the legal right to stay there. However, nothing happens by itself; for the person to actually be evicted or forced out of the home, the government has to take the appropriate steps, which typically involves the sheriff getting an order, posting a notice of eviction and giving the person a chance to challenge or contest it (though if the home was truly "lost," there's probably no grounds to contest it), and then finally carrying out the eviction.

From the time the notice of eviction is posted, it's usually only a few weeks (at most) from start to finish. But the big question is how long does it take the government to actually get in gear and begin the process. Government being government--and especially if this is taking place in an area where lots of people have fallen behind on mortgages or taxes, and the machinery of government may be overwhelmed--it may take months and months for the eviction process to start.

That said, since it *could* start tomorrow, it's best not to count on any definite period of time and look for other living arrangements, if possible.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption